The National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania (NFBP) will be sponsoring its 2018 BELL (Braille Enrichment for Literacy & Learning) Academies held weekdays, June 18 through June 29, 2018. The programs will be held at:
4724 Baum Blvd.
Pittsburgh, PA 19102
Times: 9:30 am – 3:30 pm
919 Walnut St.
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Times: 8:30 am – 2:30 pm
The BELL Academy provides instruction in Braille and daily living skills to children ages 4 through 12 who have lacked the opportunity and sufficient exposure to these important areas. In addition, the children form new friendships with other visually impaired/blind children and adults, and go on field trips.
The children have access to blind adults that served as mentors and facilitators of our program. Our goal is to enable the children to live the lives they want through upbeat and positive attitudes, skills, and experiences provided by the BELL Academy.
At this time, the 2018 BELL Academy Student Application Form is not available. Once it is, we will post it here.
If you have questions about how the program works, please visit the Pennsylvania BELL Academy FAQ page.
Please note that the application process for NFB BELL Academy contains several steps:
- Fill out the NFB BELL Application Form.
- After you submit the application, you will receive a confirmation email. That confirmation email will direct you to fill out the Permission and Release Forms.
- After you complete the permission and release forms, you will receive another confirmation email. This second confirmation email will contain your answers to the permission and release forms.
- Print out this second confirmation email, and sign and date it at the bottom of the last page.
- Send the signed confirmation email to the BELL Academy state coordinator listed on the email.
If you have any questions not covered by the information and links above, please contact our BELL Academy Coordinator, Michelle McManus, at 814-769-3191 or PABell@NFBP.org.