The National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania (NFBP), will be sponsoring its BELL (Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning) Academy programs for 2019. The programs will be held on weekdays at:
Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
1500 Spring Garden Street, Suite 230
Philadelphia, PA 19130
June 17-28, 2019
8:30 AM – 2:30 PM
Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
4724 Baum Blvd.
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
June 7-28, 2019
9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
The BELL Academy provides instruction in Braille and daily living skills to children ages 4 through 12 who have lacked the opportunity and sufficient exposure to these important areas. In addition, the children form new friendships with other vision impaired/blind children and adults, and go on field trips.
The children have access to blind adults that served as mentors and facilitators of our program. Our goal is to enable the children to live the lives they want through upbeat and positive attitudes, skills, and experiences provided by the BELL Academy.
If you would like to review and/or complete an application for the BELL Academy, please visit www.nfb.org/bell-student-application-form. You can also read the affiliate-specific Frequently Asked Questions brochure for Pennsylvania at nfb.org/bell-academy-faqs-affiliate/pa page. For more information, please contact Michelle McManus, our state BELL Coordinator at 814-769-3191 or PABell@NFBP.org.
Please note that the application process for NFB BELL Academy contains several steps:
- Fill out the NFB BELL Application Form.
- After you submit the application, you will receive a confirmation email. That confirmation email will direct you to fill out the Permission and Release Forms.
- After you complete the permission and release forms, you will receive another confirmation email. This second confirmation email will contain your answers to the permission and release forms.
- Print out this second confirmation email, and sign and date it at the bottom of the last page.
- Send the signed confirmation email to the BELL Academy state coordinator listed on the email.
NFBP BELL Academy Song
At the 2017 NFBP BELL Academy, the staff and students created a song about BELL. We hope you enjoy listening to it.
NFBP Code of Conduct
The National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania Code of Conduct will apply to our gatherings during the BELL Academy.
BELL Academy Sponsorship Request for 2019
You Can Help Sponsor This Summer’s BELL Academy
From Ice Cream to T-Shirts, Braille Paper to Pizza
Please consider the opportunity to help sponsor some part of the Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning (BELL) Academy this summer. The dates and locations for the 2019 BELL Academy programs are June 17 to 28 in Philadelphia, and June 7 to 28 in Pittsburgh.
The BELL Academy is a two to three week program for vision impaired and blind children ages 4 through 12, many of whom have had minimal exposure to braille. The program presents opportunities to enhance braille and blindness skills. Instruction in activities of daily living furthers the children’s independence and self-sufficiency. Blind mentors and volunteers provide excellent role models, keeping expectations high and proving that blindness is not the characteristic that defines one’s future. All BELL Academy children receive a free white cane and a free slate and stylus from the National Federation of the Blind.
Please review and consider the following list of sponsorships. Thank you.
- $200 Tee shirts for all participants
- $200 Supplies for arts and crafts
- $150 Christmas in July party with Santa
- $100 Louis Braille birthday party
- $100 Various games: Twister, Bingo, etc.
- $30 Mid-week pizza party
- $30 Braille paper
- $20 Dark lined paper
- $15 20/20 pens
- $10 Snacks per day
- $5 Water for each day
Sponsorship for Tactile Graphic Products
Competence in understanding and using tactile/raised-line illustrations is critical for blind children both for academic and expressive needs. The following five items promote this important but often less-recognized subject area.
- 4 or more Sensational Graphics Blackboards at $49.95. Here’s a short video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxHt_QYMg8E
- 3D Doodler Pens, $100 each with “ink” strands. More packs of “ink strands” cost $12.00 for a 25-pack.
- InTact Sketch Pad $125. www.easytactilegraphics.com
- InTact Sketch Pad electric eraser $150
- Extra InTact Sketch Pad paper: 100 sheets for $24.00
Note: We have received several sponsorships prior to this posting, and we thank those that have made the donation.
Once again, thanks for your interest and support to drive the BELL Academy vehicle along the road to literacy and learning for blind children. Together, with love, hope and determination, we transform dreams into reality.
Please make checks payable to NFBP and mail to:
Lynn Heitz, President
1500 Walnut Street, Suite 200
Philadelphia, PA 19102
In the memo, please write “BELL.” Any sponsorship in any amount will be appreciated.