The National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania (NFBP), due to unforeseen events, will be canceling this year’s BELL (Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning) Academies. We hope to hold them in 2019.
The BELL Academy provides instruction in Braille and daily living skills to children ages 4 through 12 who have lacked the opportunity and sufficient exposure to these important areas. In addition, the children form new friendships with other visually impaired/blind children and adults, and go on field trips.
The children have access to blind adults that served as mentors and facilitators of our program. Our goal is to enable the children to live the lives they want through upbeat and positive attitudes, skills, and experiences provided by the BELL Academy.
If you would like to review and/or complete an application for the BELL Academy, please visit www.nfb.org/bell-student-application-form. You can also read the affiliate-specific Frequently Asked Questions brochure for Pennsylvania at nfb.org/bell-academy-faqs-affiliate/pa page.
Please note that the application process for NFB BELL Academy contains several steps:
- Fill out the NFB BELL Application Form.
- After you submit the application, you will receive a confirmation email. That confirmation email will direct you to fill out the Permission and Release Forms.
- After you complete the permission and release forms, you will receive another confirmation email. This second confirmation email will contain your answers to the permission and release forms.
- Print out this second confirmation email, and sign and date it at the bottom of the last page.
- Send the signed confirmation email to the BELL Academy state coordinator listed on the email.
NFBP BELL Academy Song
At the 2017 NFBP BELL Academy, the staff and students created a song about BELL. We hope you enjoy listening to it.
NFBP Code of Conduct
The National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania Code of Conduct will apply to our gatherings during the BELL Academy.
If you have any questions not covered by the information and links above, please contact our BELL Academy Coordinator, Michelle McManus, at 814-769-3191 or PABell@NFBP.org.