Thank you for helping the National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania sponsor its 2019 BELL Academies. Please stay tune for details for the 2020 BELL Academies.
NFB BELL Academy – Placing Hands on the Future
The NFB BELL Academy helped blind and low-vision children, ages four through twelve, develop the literacy skills that will empower them to achieve their academic goals and live the lives they want. This year, with the assistance of our Wells Fargo partners, we provided opportunities for students to imagine, create, and touch their future and dreams; by not only raising expectations through Braille instruction, but by nurturing their development of tactile arts and graphics. Through the generous support of the American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults, each student participant in the 2019 NFB BELL Academies were provided with an inTACT Sketchpad. To learn more about the NFB BELL Academy, visit https://nfb.org/bell-academy.
Please note that the application process for NFB BELL Academy contains several steps:
- Fill out the NFB BELL Application Form.
- After you submit the application, you will receive a confirmation email. That confirmation email will direct you to fill out the Permission and Release Forms.
- After you complete the permission and release forms, you will receive another confirmation email. This second confirmation email will contain your answers to the permission and release forms.
- Print out this second confirmation email, and sign and date it at the bottom of the last page.
- Send the signed confirmation email to the BELL Academy state coordinator listed on the email.
NFBP BELL Academy Song
At the 2017 NFBP BELL Academy, the staff and students created a song about BELL. We hope you enjoy listening to it.
BELL Academy Pictures:
To view pictures taken during current or past BELL Academies, please visit our BELL Academy Pictures page.
NFB Code of Conduct
The National Federation of the Blind Code of Conduct will apply to our gatherings during the BELL Academy.
BELL Academy Sponsorship Request for 2020
You Can Help Sponsor Next Summer’s BELL Academy
From Ice Cream to T-Shirts, Braille Paper to Pizza
Please consider the opportunity to help sponsor some part of the Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning (BELL) Academy next summer. The dates and locations for the 2020 BELL Academy programs will be announced at a later date.
The BELL Academy is a one to two week program for vision impaired and blind children ages 4 through 12, many of whom have had minimal exposure to braille. The program presents opportunities to enhance braille and blindness skills. Instruction in activities of daily living furthers the children’s independence and self-sufficiency. Blind mentors and volunteers provide excellent role models, keeping expectations high and proving that blindness is not the characteristic that defines one’s future. All BELL Academy children receive a free white cane and a free slate and stylus from the National Federation of the Blind.
Please review and consider the following list of sponsorships. Thank you.
- $200 Tee shirts for all participants
- $200 Supplies for arts and crafts
- $150 Christmas in July party with Santa
- $100 Louis Braille birthday party
- $100 Various games: Twister, Bingo, etc.
- $30 Mid-week pizza party
- $30 Braille paper
- $20 Dark lined paper
- $15 20/20 pens
- $10 Snacks per day
- $5 Water for each day
Sponsorship for Tactile Graphic Products
Competence in understanding and using tactile/raised-line illustrations is critical for blind children both for academic and expressive needs. Thanks to the American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults, each BELL Academy program will receive an InTact Sketch Pad electric eraser and all of the students will receive inTACT Sketchpads. The following four items promote this important but often less-recognized subject area.
- 4 or more Sensational Graphics Blackboards at $49.95. Here’s a short video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxHt_QYMg8E
- 3D Doodler Pens, $100 each with “ink” strands. More packs of “ink strands” cost $12.00 for a 25-pack.
- Additional InTact Sketch Pad electric erasers, $150 each
- Extra InTact Sketch Pad paper: 100 sheets for $24.00
Note: We have received several sponsorships prior to this posting, and we thank those that have made the donation.
Once again, thanks for your interest and support to drive the BELL Academy vehicle along the road to literacy and learning for blind children. Together, with love, hope and determination, we transform dreams into reality.
Please make checks payable to NFBP and mail to:
Lynn Heitz, President
1500 Walnut Street, Suite 200
Philadelphia, PA 19102
In the memo, please write “BELL.” Any sponsorship in any amount will be appreciated.
To learn more about the NFB of Pennsylvania BELL Academy programs, please read the affiliate-specific Frequently Asked Questions brochure for Pennsylvania at https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy/pennsylvania. For more information, please contact Michelle McManus, our state BELL coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 814-769-3191.