The National Federation of the Blind believes in investing in the future by supporting the college education of deserving legally blind students. We urge you to apply to both the national and state scholarships.
Every year, the National Federation of the Blind awards more than $120,000 to blind scholars across the fifty states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico in recognition of their achievements and professional aspirations. The scholarship program is our commitment to academic excellence and leadership among blind students, and each winner is awarded on the basis of academic excellence, community service, and leadership. The application process opens November 1. Review the scholarship application checklist and the scholarship program FAQs. Share this opportunity that invests in the future of blind people. Learn about the eligibility and requirements of the 2021 scholarship program. All blind high school and college students are encouraged to apply!
The National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania awards as many as two (2) scholarships each year at its annual state convention to Pennsylvania residents or those attending Pennsylvania schools. Any legally blind, full-time college or graduate student may apply, as well as graduating high school seniors who will be attending college full-time in the fall of 2021. Each scholarship is worth $1,000. Deadline for state scholarship applications is August 31. All finalists must attend the entire convention of the National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania, to be held in November. The NFBP scholarship program is our investment in the future of blind people who demonstrate scholastic aptitude, leadership, and service. All blind high school and college students are encouraged to apply!
Download the application for 2021 in one of the following formats and follow the steps below before the August 30 deadline:
- NFB of Pennsylvania 2021 Scholarship Application (Word Document)
- NFB of Pennsylvania 2021 Scholarship Application (PDF)
Please read the reflections from some of our past national scholarship winners while attending national convention at www.nfbnj.org/scholarships/reflections-from-national-scholarship-winners.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR NFB AND NFB OF PENNSYLVANIA SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS:
- Go to www.nfb.org/scholarships to find the description and eligibility requirements.
- Be sure to give all information and upload your personal letter and any other required documents before March 31.
- Arrange for any other recommendations and such to be sent to the scholarship office in Baltimore by March 31.
- Call NFB of Pennsylvania President Lynn Heitz at 215-988-0888 weeks before March 31 to arrange for an interview.
- Be sure all required documents are submitted by the due date. Do not delay the completion and submission of your application because letters of recommendation have not been sent to you.
- Download a copy of the application form as a Word document or as a PDF.
- Be sure to read the entire form and complete all necessary areas.
- Sign the application where indicated and mail it with your personal letter to the state office before August 31.
- Arrange for all references to be sent to the state office.
- If you do not already know a state federation board member or chapter president, contact 215-988-0888 to arrange for an interview. Otherwise arrange for the interview with the person you know.
- Do not wait to receive a copy of the scholarship recommendation letter. Send the application and other documents before the deadline.
Please note that the web site addresses for the NFB and NFB of Pennsylvania are very similar and only differ by the addition of the “P” character (for Pennsylvania) after “NFB”.