The National Federation of the Blind believes in investing in the future by supporting the college education of deserving legally blind students. Our state and national scholarship programs are the most generous in the country. We urge you to apply to both.
The National Federation of the Blind offers thirty scholarships annually to blind students from across the United States. Any legally blind, full-time college or graduate student may apply, as well as graduating high school seniors who will be attending college full-time in the fall of 2020. Check out www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program for eligibility information and to apply! The application deadline is March 31, 2020. All finalists must attend the entire convention of the National Federation of the Blind, to be held June 30 to July 5 in Houston, Texas. The NFB scholarship program is our investment in the future of blind people who demonstrate scholastic aptitude, leadership, and service. All blind high school and college students are encouraged to apply!
The National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania awards as many as two (2) scholarships each year at its annual state convention to Pennsylvania residents or those attending Pennsylvania schools. Any legally blind, full-time college or graduate student may apply, as well as graduating high school seniors who will be attending college full-time in the fall of 2020. Each scholarship is worth $1,000. Deadline for state scholarship applications is August 30th. All finalists must attend the entire convention of the National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania, to be held November 13 to 15 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The NFBP scholarship program is our investment in the future of blind people who demonstrate scholastic aptitude, leadership, and service. All blind high school and college students are encouraged to apply!
Download the application for 2020 in one of the following formats and follow the steps below before the August 30 deadline:
- NFB of Pennsylvania 2020 Scholarship Application (Word Document)
- NFB of Pennsylvania 2020 Scholarship Application (PDF)
Please read the reflections from some of our past national scholarship winners while attending national convention at www.nfbnj.org/scholarships/reflections-from-national-scholarship-winners.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR NFB AND NFB OF PENNSYLVANIA SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS:
- Go to www.nfb.org/scholarships to find the description and eligibility requirements.
- Be sure to give all information and upload your personal letter and any other required documents before March 31.
- Arrange for any other recommendations and such to be sent to the scholarship office in Baltimore by March 31.
- Call NFB of Pennsylvania President Lynn Heitz at 215-988-0888 weeks before March 31 to arrange for an interview.
- Be sure all required documents are submitted by the due date. Do not delay the completion and submission of your application because letters of recommendation have not been sent to you.
- Download a copy of the application form as a Word document or as a PDF.
- Be sure to read the entire form and complete all necessary areas.
- Sign the application where indicated and mail it with your personal letter to the state office before August 31.
- Arrange for all references to be sent to the state office.
- If you do not already know a state federation board member or chapter president, contact 215-988-0888 to arrange for an interview. Otherwise arrange for the interview with the person you know.
- Do not wait to receive a copy of the scholarship recommendation letter. Send the application and other documents before the deadline.
Please note that the web site addresses for the NFB and NFB of Pennsylvania are very similar and only differ by the addition of the “P” character (for Pennsylvania) after “NFB”.